Cutest Blogs on the Block

Lilypie 7th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Sixth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, October 12, 2012

Reading and Writing

I am so proud of Grace's progress in reading and writing lately.  She has never been a kid to "show off" what she knows.  She won't answer questions to show new things she's learned.  She doesn't want me to work with her on learning-type activities.  (So opposite from her brother!)  Everything has to be done on her terms . . . I know it's a surprise (sarcasm).

Grace has been reminding me on a daily basis lately how ready she will be for kindergarten next Fall (**tears**).  She LOVES to do homework!  Now that Gabriel has homework daily, she wants me to bring "homework" for her to do from my school.  If I don't have time or if I forget, she gets very put-out with me.  She doesn't want me to work with her on her "homework."  She just wants me to hand her the papers and let her go.  Most of the time, she does it correctly.

Grace has been writing constantly lately.  She is always writing notes to people or making someone a card.  She made a book last night --- drew pictures and wrote "words" on each page.  One day last week, she asked me to tell her how to spell mom.  I gave her the same answer I give my students at school, "Say the word slowly and listen to the sounds you hear."  A few minutes later, she came in the kitchen with the paper above.  She asked, "Did I write it right, Mom?  It says I love Mom and Dad"  I was amazed!  It was written from left to right --- that's been a challenge for her, I think because she's left handed.  Her handwriting was neat.  The spelling was correct.

This girl is growing up way too fast!  And I am so proud of her!

2 comments:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

Nice work, Grace!!!

the lewis gang said...

great job, grace!! it is so crazy when you can just tell they are ready for kindergarten!!