Cutest Blogs on the Block

Lilypie 7th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Sixth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Amazing Experience

We were on our way to the zoo Tuesday morning, when I noticed something flat and shiny in the field next to our driveway. Of course I got out of the van to check it out.
This was what  I saw!  I large turtle in the grass digging a hole with her back legs.  She was digging a nest to lay her eggs in!  Wow!
I called the kids over to take a look at the turtle, but we were very careful not to touch or get to close.
We watched her dig for just a moment, and from the angle I was standing at, I could see her lay and egg in the hole.  Oh my!  It looked like a ping pong ball.
After laying the egg, she continued to dig, and I assume she laid more eggs.  When we returned from the zoo, we checked out the nest.  If I hadn't seen the turtle digging the hole and laying the egg, I'd never know from looking at the ground what had been there.  It was truly an amazing experience to watch the turtle lay an egg.  I hope we get to see evidence later of the baby turtles emerging from their nest.

1 comment:

Jaime Mac said...

Wow, that's really cool. But I would've NEVER gotten out of the van. What if she was fighting a snake or something? (shudder)